Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Cherry Chutney

The land I live on had an acre of old cherry trees when I bought it 22 years ago. Now after clearing for a garden and a driveway, I have about a dozen tress left. This last summer they had cherries by the bushel. I invited friends and family to pick all they wanted, they did, and still an embarrassing amount was wasted. I’ve always thought that Royal Anne cherries were just good fresh. I tried canning them years ago and didn’t really like the result. This year Robert and Dee, who raise 60 kinds of apples, told me about cherry chutney. I looked up some recipes, made a couple of alterations to the one I had the ingredients for, and the result blew me away.

When you see fresh Royal Anne cherries at the fruit stand or the grocery store you can be fairly certain they’re local. These delicate things bruise when touched and brown where bruised. Most of the trees that grow these were planted, like my nearly 50 year old trees, when fruit wasn’t chosen for its shipping qualities but for its flavor. You can get them fresh during the summer but if you want to save a bundle keep your eyes open for what looks like old orchards. South and west of Salem I noticed a number of small orchards that, like mine, aren’t commercially harvested. If you happen upon one of these next summer, stop and ask at the nearest home and you may end up picking a bunch for very little. In the meantime, canned, frozen and dried cherries can be had from numerous local processors. Check the list after the recipe.

Jeannie’s Christmas Cherry Chutney

5 cups frozen, fresh or canned sweet cherries. If making this with tart cherries add ½ cup of sugar. If using canned cherries leave out some of the sugar.
1 cup chopped dried tart cherries.
1 cup walnuts
1 cup sugar
¾ cup vinegar, I use white but you can probably use others.
2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger.
½ teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, ginger, cayenne pepper and salt.
¼ teaspoon of ground cloves.

Bring it all to a boil and then cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.

I serve this with crackers and cream cheese. I’m sure it would be great over baked brie or with pork, turkey, duck or chicken.

Cherries and Walnuts Locally Grown

Cherry Country has dried tart cherries – check the link on the right.
Willamette Valley Fruit has frozen tart cherries and Roth’s, EZ Orchards and Aspinwalls carry them.
Oregon Fruit has canned Royal Anne cherries and Roth’s has them.
Bauman Farms has frozen cherries as well.
Truitt Brothers also cans sweet cherries.
Walnuts – check the previous post. EZ orchards, Asplinwall’s and New Seasons in Portland all have local walnuts.

1 comment: